CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 14, 2007

Check Ups...

Poked, prodded, and branded. That’s how I felt leaving the doctor’s office yesterday. I am now ending my 28th week of pregnancy and that meant a glucose screening, Thyroid check, and RH blood shot. Bottom line, all I can say is that I have two areas of injections and they both hurt. So was my ego.

Here’s the funny story:

So I am sitting in the doctor’s office. I was given a bottle of orange sugar liquid to drink in under five minutes. I drank it like a pro! (or like a very hungry pregnant lady willing to eat anything by that time in the morning). Then they sent me out to the waiting area to fill up on the “Parenting” magazines and “People”. I got my dose of gossip for the day. I waited there for an hour then got called back into the office for a blood draw. I sat there and talked small talk with a very cheerful lady, too cheerful to be poking people all day. She took my blood, like a gallon of it and then took out the needle and started to wrap me up, only to find another note on my file about drawing blood for a second time, this time for more glucose and thyroid junk. Woot. Two needles, one hour, great.

Then they sent me back out to the waiting room. An hour later they called me in for my blood shot. I was nauseous, dizzy, hungry, and tired all at the same time. The nurse said, “Go ahead and have a seat in the chair where you got your blood drawn.” I sat down eager to get this over with, I hate shots. Then she came up to me and said, “Oh, wait, lets go to that chair over there (across the room) they need this chair for another patient.”

So I say in the second chair for another ten minutes. At this point I am looking at my poor arm, and thinking, “I’ll get the shot in my opposite arm to even out the bruises and pain.”

The nurse then came back again and said, “Okay, let’s go to room 6 just down the hall.” I was dumbfounded….but I went with it. Keep in mind, I am groggy and nauseous. So we get to the room and the nurse proceeds to gather all the necessities for the shot.

Meanwhile I am surveying my arms to where I think I want the next poke of a needle. “I have had enough in the left arm for one day, so let’s go with the right arm” and I keep going on and on about how I want to be able to use my left arm for lifting some things and such. The nurse just stood there with the shot in one hand, an alcohol swabs in the other, and a pleasant smile on her face.

“Now, you can stand, bend over, or lay on your side dear” she said to me….I didn’t get it.

“Oh, no I’ll just take it in my right arm. My left arm is too tired from the blood draw and-“

“No dear, you can stand, lie down, or bend over”.

“But, my right arm is right here……wait…..You have to put it in my butt!?!?!!”

“Yes dear.”

"Man! This stinks!" and then the pouting ensued, but only on the inside.

So I left with a sore arm, sick tummy, and really sore butt. Sad sad day. I was all geared up for a shot in the arm, only to feel very silly and quite childlike with a shot in my rear end and not even a lollipop to show for my good attitude…

At least I get a cute baby out of the deal.

2 comments:

E and K said...

Um, that doesn't sound like fun. I think I'll wait a while to have a baby, just to avoid the needle in the butt... No Thank You!!!

thensch said...

LOL. I like the "No, I'll just take it in my right arm, it's right here!" Good work Stale. But seriously, I can't believe they made a poor pregnant lady sit for soooo long. Brutes.